Saturday 29 June 2013

A Conversation and a Clafouti

The Russian: So I am going to Prague
Me: *puts broom down* what? Like…in the future some day?
The Russian: No, Tuesday, family stuff, anyway what’s for dinner?

I find it so incredible that men have this insane gift of dropping extremely important or staggering news on you like an atom bomb and be completely unfazed.  I continued to stare at him like he had grown a pair of devil horns and was violently performing the Macarena. How does one just tell their significant other that within two days you are going to travel half way across the world? PRAGUE! CZECH REPUBLIC! That’s like in Europe!

I am the type of girl that likes to have detailed itinerary and have everything in my (our) life super planned out. Ya, sometimes this doesn’t reflect into my academics but that’s only because I get so panicked from planning the plans for study plans that I just lay down like a star fish and cry. Anyway, so here he was telling me that he was off on some European escapade with his Grandmother and father while I sit in our apartment hyperventilating and willing myself not to beg my parents to let me fly to Prague. I don’t know, I guess I got extra paranoid and extra jealous. Why can’t I go to Prague?

I do like people from Czech Republic I am sure they are absolutely sweet and lovely. However I am quite worried about Czech girls (a lady does not discuss where these worries stem from…), so what else was I to do other than fatten him up.


Off I go to bake something delicious to remind him that tall leggy blonde girls won’t let him indulge in desserts but will crack a whip at him at a gym!
The Russian isn't really super fond of desserts however he does enjoy clafouti given it’s not too sweet. Generally I like making clafoutis with cherries but I had none, only strawberries. I used Julia Child’s recipe.

Strawberry clafouti


  •  1 1/4 cups milk
  •  1/3 cup sugar
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 Tablespoon vanilla
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup flour
  • 1 pint strawberries sliced
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • powdered sugar

In a blender (or with a whisk and a bowl) blend up the eggs, milk, sugar and vanilla. When well mixed add in sifter flour so there are no clumps and whizz up some more but don’t overdo it or you will lose the fluffiness. Pour into a round pan (I used square because I thought I didn't have a round pan). Scatter the strawberries into the batter and bake in a 350 Fahrenheit oven until the top is not sticky or brown but just a cooked golden custard colour. Insert a toothpick in; if it comes out clean you are done! Shake some powder sugar on top for some jazzy garnish, I didn't do this and it was still good.


Enjoy with a cup of cappuccino and realize that although you find comfort in micromanaging every one’s life sometimes it’s OK to get a surprise. Unwanted situations force you to mentally grow just like working out forces your muscles to grow. Surprises are good for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment